source for Lakes Area real estate and information!
Your Home’s Value
Selling a Home
When selling your home
there are no guarantees that a buyer will simply walk through the front door.
In many cases you may have to bring your home to the buyer.
Increasing Your Home's Value
When you're preparing your house for sale,
remember the importance of first impressions. The market isn't the only
factor that influences whether you get your asking price. Appearance and
overall condition play a major role. Here are some easy things you can do to
make your home more appealing to buyers.
It is estimated that more
than half of all houses are sold before the buyers even get out of their
cars. So stand across the street from your house and review its curb appeal.
- Sweep front walkway.
- Remove newspapers, bikes, and toys.
- Park extra cars away from the property.
- Trim the shrubs.
- Apply fresh, clean paint throughout.
- Clean windows and window coverings throughout.
- Keep plumbing and all appliances in working
- Maintain all sealants (window, tub, shower,
sink, etc.) in good condition.
- Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition;
no repairs needed.
- Mow the lawn more frequently and plant
- Keep pet areas clean.
- Kitchen and bathroom should shine.
- Quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets
should be clean.
- Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
- Put dishes away, unless setting a formal
display for decoration.
- Make beds and put all clothes away.
- Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter
- Straighten closets.
- Put toys away.
- Turn off television.
- Play soft music on the radio/stereo.
- Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean
- Secure jewelry, cash, prescription medication,
and other valuables.
- Enhance the spaciousness of each room. Pack
away collectibles to allow buyers to envision their own furnishings in
- Potential buyers usually feel more
comfortable if the owners are not present.
- If people unaccompanied by an agent request
to see your property, please refer them to your real estate
professional for an appointment.
- Leave a number where you can be reached if
you are leaving town, even for a weekend.
Click here to return to Buying and
Selling Tips page